« Home | Previous Post: And the answer is . . . » | Previous Post: Twist cap to vent »

Love Protects

Monday, June 12, 2006

I had the privilege of traveling over the weekend with my 2 daughters to visit my mother. Our hotel was across the street from a mall and inside is a place to play black-light miniature golf. My girls had been once last year and loved it. It’s owned by a Christian man and he plays the newest contemporary Christian music and they were obviously excited to return. Seeing their grandmother was great, staying in the hotel was cool, shopping all day was fun (for one of them), but black-light miniature golf . . . now that was the bomb! So off we go. As we step out of the light and into the darkness, what was a perfectly appropriate shirt that my youngest daughter was wearing took on a whole different appearance in the black-light. It took us a few minutes to realize but once we did – she was horrified. They had been so looking forward to this and 3 or 4 holes into their play she was ready to quit. She was left feeling defeated and I was left wondering what to do. I’m in a mall; do I go buy another shirt and return? Do we just leave when the excitement for this had been building? Do we stay? Do I give her my own shirt? No wait, that wouldn’t work. You see my dilemma, and all these possible solutions are zipping through my head in a matter of seconds. But then it dawned on me. There was no one in the place except us. And to keep the brightness of each “putting green” separated from the next, there were black curtains that draped from ceiling to floor as dividers. So, with a few exceptions, we were not visible to anyone other than those that may come up behind us. So my solution, “Stay close to me and I’ll cover you.” She could relax, let me protect her, and finish her game – which she did. Well, the relaxing part is questionable. But my point is I had a different perspective than she did. I could see beyond the present circumstances to the prize at the end, if only she would allow me to take care of her. We finished the game, had a great time, and I believe she felt safe.
Afterwards I was thinking, isn’t that just like us with God? At times we step out of the light and into the darkness and then run from Him, knowing He is the only one that can rescue us. Unlike me, He doesn’t have to wonder what the best solution is – He’s already prepared. He just wants us to stay close to him and let him protect us. Psalm 32:7 says God is our hiding place and will protect us from trouble. Psalm 91:14 tells us that when we love and know him, he will keep us safe. Psalm 119:114 depicts God as our shield. Over and over throughout God’s word – His desire to protect us is evident. Look what did He did for Adam and Eve. Their eyes were opened, they were ashamed, and they attempted to cover themselves (Gen 3:7). That too is like us – fix it ourselves first, if that doesn’t work ask God. But then look what happens just 14 verses later; God made clothes for them and covered them. The God that created heaven and earth, the God that was, is, and will always be, the God that conquered the grave cared enough to cover his most prized creation Himself. All the time knowing that just moments before that very same creation had failed Him miserably. Sometimes it is still beyond my comprehension. Did He have to do it? I think so. Don’t misunderstand me, not for us – we certainly don’t deserve it - but because of who He is. God is love. And love protects (I Cor 13:7).

Posted at 12:58 PM Read or Post Comments

Post a Comment

« Home