« Home | Previous Post: Twist cap to vent »

And the answer is . . .

Monday, May 08, 2006

Embedded in the English language is a word that many women rarely say, most dread hearing, and few truly understand. It is a simple word with a powerful meaning and has the ability to bring out the best and worst of emotions. But delivered or received properly, it holds a beauty like none other. Your word for the day - “no”. Even as I write, it brings a smile to my face. Partly because there is freedom that accompanies it and partly because it cracks me up to see the reactions it brings out in people when that is the answer they did not expect. As women I believe it is our nature to please others; our husbands, our children, parents, siblings, boss, co-workers, pastor, girlfriends, the president, our cousin’s best friend’s next door neighbor’s daughter, and so forth. We have a lengthy list of people who count on us daily. Why do we do this? ‘It is our calling . . . we are the nurturers. . . it just won’t get done if I don’t do it.’ And then here is one we don’t like to admit – we want to be liked. You know it’s true. We do. I do and don’t even try to convince me I’m alone in this one. The truth is, what we say is accurate, it is our calling and we are nurturers. Many times things won’t get done unless we do them – at least not to our specifications. But in trying to save the world, don’t you become overwhelmed? I know I have and finally one day someone asked something of me at a time when my estrogen and hormones were not in sync, or I was tired and cranky, or just maybe Jesus elbowed me in the ribs and I said, “no.” It was nothing less than BEAUTIFUL. I could begin to breathe again and the choke hold was less intense. And gradually it became an active part of my vocabulary – almost too active. I had to slow down on that response before I received a swift kick rather than an elbow. My point is that as Christian women, we all serve in the ministry. We are called for specific purposes but not all purposes. God has an appointed time for everything as Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. How we use our time reflects our values and I believe our relationship with Jesus Christ. There are certainly ways to say “no” with tact and grace which I believe pleases God as well (Colossians 4:5-6). We cannot be all God desires us to be in the areas He desires us to be for the time He specifies if we use our gifts without His direction. Joy and peace are our rewards for serving as He would have us to serve. Give when you can give, help when you can help, and don’t be afraid to say no when you can’t. But always seek His direction in your answer (Ephesians 5:15-17). And if you really want to have some fun – say "no" without following with much of an explanation. It leaves people bewildered and sometimes the reasoning really is just between you and God.

Posted at 12:47 PM Read or Post Comments

Post a Comment

« Home